Prevention of Injury - FIFABased on these two initial studies and the meanwhile accumulated body of knowledge, F-MARC developed a simple, catchy and time efficient preventive programme called "The 11" targeting amateur players.
To some extent, improved players´ fitness and skills can prevent injuries, however, a substantial amount of injuries is caused by foul play. Therefore, the observance of the laws of the game, and particularly of Fair Play, is essential for effective prevention of football injuries.
Accordingly, "The 11"consist of ten exercises plus the promotion of Fair Play (click on the right to view a demonstration of "The 11"). In cooperation with the national accident compensation companies and the respective FIFA Member Associations, "The 11" has meanwhile been implemented in countrywide campaigns in Switzerland and New Zealand. In 2007, an advanced version of the programme called "The 11+" has been tested in a large study with youth amateur female players in Norway.
"The 11+" takes new insights from F-MARC studies into consideration and proved successful indeed as it reduced the injury rate in this target group by up to a third.
The “FIFA 11+”
The “FIFA 11+” – your warm-up to prevent injury
Your body has some natural defence mechanisms against injuries that you can train to become more “resistant” to injuries. For example, training certain muscles stabilises joints, training your balance makes you less susceptible to loss of balance and falls. There are certain techniques, e.g. how you jump or land, that protect you from getting injured in these critical situations.
“FIFA 11+ - a complete warm-up to prevent injuries” combines exercises training the above to provide you with general protection from injuries. “FIFA 11+” is a complete warm-up to be performed prior to every training session. You should be at least 14 years of age to start “FIFA 11+”.
In a scientific study with almost 2,000 female youth players, teams performing “FIFA 11+” at least twice a week had 30-50 per cent fewer injured players than teams who warmed up as usual. The greater care you take to correctly perform each exercise, the greater the effect. Your coach will supervise how you do the exercises and correct your movements as necessary.
There are two points of paramount importance to guarantee the effect:
- you have to do all the exercises of “FIFA 11+” correctly: the greater care you take, the greater the effect
- you have to do “FIFA 11+” regularly, that means at least twice a week
Make “FIFA 11+” your routine warm-up prior to training!
- Junge A, Lamprecht M, Stamm H, Hasler H, Bizzini M, Tschopp M, Reuter H, Wyss H, Chilvers C, Dvorak J. Country-wide campaign to prevent football injuries in Swiss amateur players. Am J Sports Med 2010 Oct 17. [Epub ahead of print]
- Soligard T, Myklebust G, Steffen K, Holme I, Silvers H, Bizzini M, , Junge A, Dvorak J, Bahr R, Andersen TE. Comprehensive warm-up programme to prevent injuries in young female footballers: cluster randomised controlled trial. BMJ 2008;337:a2469.
- Steffen K, Myklebust G, Olsen OE, Holme I, Bahr R. Preventing injuries in female youth football--a cluster-randomized controlled trial. Scand J Med Sci Sports 2008;18(5):605-614.
Autor / Fonte:FIFA